Download the file:Sustainability Policy
Environmental Sustainability Policy for Medical Offices & Outpatient Facilities
Comments: Every clinic, office, or organization should have an environmental sustainability policy that fosters wise uses of resources and improves community health. This is a sample policy. Please email My Green Doctor ([email protected]) to obtain a copy of this policy that you can edit for your needs.
We also provide a 10-minute PowerPoint presentation to help explain your program to managers (www.mygreendotor.org/starting-your-office-green-team/) .
It is the policy of our office for each office/department to have a Green Team that promotes environmental sustainability.
Introduction: Environmental Sustainability is a core value and goal of our office. An environmentally sustainable business is one that “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” (United Nations definition from the World Commission on Environment & Development, 1987). The goals of environmental sustainability at our office include improving the office use of resources in order to lower operating costs, to create a healthier working environment, and to contribute positively to community health.
Environmental Sustainability Committee (ESC): (this is for companies with more than one office or department)
- An Environmental Sustainability Committee and its Chairperson will be appointed by the Practice Administrator
- The ESC is responsible for supervising and advising the office Green Teams
- The ESC meets at least quarterly and reports quarterly to the Board of Directors
- The Practice Administrator may appoint an Sustainability Officer
Responsibilities of the office or department Manager include:
- Register at My Green Doctor (https://mygreendoctor.org/)and use this website as a guiding resource for the office.
- Include 5-10 minutes of Green Team business in each regular office staff or organizational meeting, where possible.
- Serve as the Green Team Leader or support the Leader if another member of the office agrees to be the Leader.
- Report quarterly to the Clinic’s Environmental Sustainability Committee (ESC)
- Ensure that the office qualifies for and maintains Green Doctor Office Certification from My Green Doctor.
Activities of the Green Team:
- The Green Team is comprised of every member of the office or clinic staff.
- The Team evaluates on an ongoing basis the office’s environmental practices and adopts Action Steps which become the office’s Environmental Sustainability Plan.
- Uses tools in My Green Doctor to communicate with the office staff & with patients (Education Steps).
- Records meeting minutes using the Green Team Notes form from My Green Doctor.
Green Team Functions at Each Meeting:
- Led by the Office Manager or Green Team Leader
- Bring a copy of the Meeting-by-Meeting Guide to each meeting as a guide.
- Choose a member to record minutes using the Green Team Notes form
- Minutes: Review of, corrections to & approval of the minutes of the prior meeting.
- Old Business: Review of status each Action Step & Education Step already adopted by the Team
- New Business: Discussion of and adoption of new Action Steps & Education Steps; choose one Team member to be the leader for each Action Step. In its first year, a Green Team will adopt 1-2 new Action Steps or Education Steps at each meeting.
- Other Business
- Select a date for the next meeting.
Qualifying For Green Doctor Office Certification:
- Certification requires completion of five Green Team meetings, five Action Steps, and five Education Steps. Minutes of five Green Team meetings can be emailed to My Green Doctor ([email protected]), together with an email providing the name and address of the office, and a list of the Steps completed. Certification is valid for 3 years. See mygrrendoctor.org to learn whether the office qualifies for certification without a fee. For non-qualifying offices, the fee is $250 (US) every 3 years.